Our philosophy on cold brew
Delicious cold brew begins with delicious coffees. That's why our cold brew is blended directly from coffees on our single origin menu. After roasting, we rest our coffees in air-tight packaging, allowing their trapped gasses to gently release over time. This rest helps the flavors to dissolve properly in cold water. The result is a sweet, vibrant, and flavorful cold brew that is refreshing over ice, complex with milk and sugar, and even strong enough to deliver some pep to your favorite cocktails.
How to make cold brew
Conventional recipes call for coarsely ground coffee with a maximum brew time of 12 hours. Our recipe is a little different; developed over the course of 6 years for our Nitro Cold Brew program, this recipe uses finely ground coffee and brews for 24 hours. By drastically changing these two factors, this recipe achieves a fuller extraction of very dense, light roasted coffees. In turn, you'll experience more origin character and complexity in the flavors.
For cold brew concentrate to dilute or use in mixed drinks:
- 100g finely ground cold brew
- 800g filtered room temp water
For a brew you can pour straight over ice without diluting:
- 75g cold brew
- 825g filtered room temp water
- Add the coffee to the French Press, then slowly add half of your water.
- Stir thoroughly to fully saturate the grounds. Add the remaining water and put the lid on. Gently press the plunger to rest just on top of the brew without touching the grounds.
- Let sit at room temperature undisturbed for around 24 hours.
- After 24 hours submerge the plunger half-way. Avoid letting it touch the grounds on the bottom.
- Slowly tilt the press and pour from the top. Try to keep the grounds at the bottom as still as possible throughout your pour. Gravity is your primary filtration method.
- When you reach the last few ounces the grounds will start to break up and slide along the side of the press. Stop pouring around this point.
- Store the cold brew in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
The Cold Brew Carajillo
Our twist on a classic Spanish cocktail that uses cold brew in place of espresso.
- 3oz Cold Brew Concentrate
- 2oz Licor 43
In an Old Fashioned or Negroni Glass, add several ice cubes. Pour 2oz of Licor 43 over ice, then gently pour 3oz of cold brew over the back of a spoon to create the layered effect. We recommend stirring to incorporate the flavors before consuming.
The Book End
(can be made with or without alcohol)
A creation from our team that can be enjoyed as a simple mock-tail, or spiced up with some bourbon or rye whiskey for a great night cap.
- 2.5oz Cold Brew Concentrate
- 1oz Heavy Cream
- 0.5oz Simple Syrup
- Optional: 3 dashes Aztec Chocolate Bitters
- Optional: 1oz Bourbon or Rye Whiskey
Add ingredients to a shaker starting with the smallest ingredient and moving up, add ice, shake for 30s. Double strain into a chilled coupe or martini glass. Garnish with a light sprinkle of cinnamon and gently place 3 cold brew beans on top.
Want us to grind it for you?
Drop us a note at checkout requesting that your order be ground!
The coffee is ground on our top of the line Mahlkönig EK43, which produces spectacular grind evenness and helps your coffee extract more fully and consistently.
We roast on Monday and Tuesday and ship USPS priority. Orders placed after Tuesday will be filled immediately if we have the coffee on hand. Otherwise, your order will be roasted & shipped the following week.